Sunday, 1 July 2012

Under Construction


We managed to pick the hottest weekend of the year to start our construction project.  We have been building a greenhouse during the past two days.  Firstly, there was a base to build, which was filled with limestone.

Then the fun began, as we tried to work out which part went where.

Starting to take shape here, at which point we abandoned the job for the night.  We had spent five hours in 28 degrees of heat and drank gallons of water as we tried to keep cool.

This morning, we resumed our task and started putting in the panels.  Soon it was even hotter than yesterday, as the mercury climbed to 31 degrees.  I have to admit that the finials were the finishing touch for me and also what sold this particular model ~ I like a touch of class and nostalgia for a bygone age.

Our finished greenhouse.  It was so hot inside that it was a relief to be able to escape.  I've put some tomato plants in since I took this photo earlier.  With the amount of heat that they are receiving, I'm hopeful of a bumper crop.

4 comments:

LinenandRoses said...

It looks really lovely. I agree about the finials. I also really like that colour. So much nicer then plain metal. Hope your tomatoes do really well. Fiona x

VintagePretty said...

Well done to have made this between you without professional help. If it had been me, I fear it might've been lop-sided and wonky!

Love the finials at the top, too. Very snazzy!

I hope you had a good weekend and can get some seedlings started - perhaps if you have a paraffin burner in there over the colder weather, you'll be able to extend your season massively and grow tomatoes into November!

Tracy said...

WOW... what a great finish, Marie! It looks a good size. And it will be very exciting to see all you grow here... Terrific job! I'm sure you're resting and seeking cool now. ;o) Happy new week, my friend ((HUGS))

Rosie said...

Your new greenhouse looks good and worth all the hard work. Hope you get loads of tomatoes growing in there:)