Sunday, 8 April 2012

Easter Weekend


The weekend got off to an early start as far as chocolate was concerned, as I baked a chocolate malteser cake for the birthday of one of my work colleagues.  I used Nigella's recipe, but had to modify it slightly, as I couldn't find Horlicks here, so used chocolate Ovaltine instead.  This is a deliciously moist cake which was enjoyed by all.


The tradition of hot cross buns lives on and I cheated this year and bought some.  It hardly seems worth the effort to bake them, as I am the only one who likes them.  These were equally delicious and probably some of the best that I've found here in Canada.


Best enjoyed with butter and a cup of tea.


Saturday dawned and it was cold, but the spring bulbs were starting to flower and the colours were so cheering.  Although it was necessary to wear a warm coat, I thrilled at the prospect of spring.


The hyacinths have been in bloom all week and the weight of their flowers has caused them to bend.  Their fragrance is absolutely overpowering indoors (my husband kept bringing them in on cold nights!) filling the house with their scent.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Blooms and baking... what could be better?! I can almost smell those hyacinths...mmm... And the chocolate too...LOL... That Maltesers Cake looks moreish!! Happy Days, Marie ((LOVE & HUGS))