Monday, 26 March 2012

Sugar & Spice & All Things Nice...


I have started re-reading The Wonderful Weekend Book by the late Elspeth Thompson and rather than just reading it, I am determined to actually rediscover the joy of weekends.  To this end, I decided to have a weekend free of housework (!) and I must admit that this is a first for a very long time.  Working full-time, the weekend tends to be my opportunity to catch up on laundry, ironing, house cleaning....etc.  Normally, they are one long round of domestic chores and I'm lucky to be finished by Sunday evening.


I have to be realistic about the idea of reclaiming my weekends, so I thought that I would try to do this once a month.  After all, I'm also on-call one weekend every month too, so I can't expect to have all of my weekends free. 


This weekend was much more relaxing with time to sit and read, watch the birds at the feeder (more about them next time) and generally unwind.  One pleasure which I do enjoy is baking, so I finally found time to make a ginger cake.  The kitchen was filled with the smell of spices and that delicious homely smell of a cake baking in the oven.


I cheated a bit and used my mixer, which proved not to be a good idea.  It did a great job of removing the lumps as the flour was mixed in, but the hot liquid poured into it set on the cold bowl, which made for a rather stickly clean-up.


Still, I must admit that this is probably the best ginger cake that I've ever baked.  For once, I was patient and didn't take it out of the oven too early, only for it to sink in the middle and a lower shelf position resulted in a lovely colour without any burnt edges.  Just perfect for another pleasure: a nice cup of tea to go with it.  Perfection!

5 comments:

Isobel said...

Hi Marie,
Here at home we are trying to reclaim our weekends too. Specially as we are having some great spring weather. Your ginger cake looks amazing! Can I have a little slice? ;)
xx

Tracy said...

Oh, that ginger cake looks sooo delicious, Marie! Great ambition to take back the weekends. I seem to recall that Country Living magazine did a piece a couple years back on reclaiming the weekends. We could do with some of that too. I'm hoping this summer will be ripe for taking back the weekends and relishing them more. :o) This gives me great inspiration...thank you, Marie! Happy Week ((LOVE & HUGS))

Wild Rose said...

Hi Isobel & Tracy,

Thanks for the lovely comments. I would like to invite everyone over for a cup of tea and a slice of ginger cake. Wouldn't it be marvellous to have a get-together?

Have a great week.

Marie x

Priscilla said...

Hi, I hope you are well. Your cake looks fantastic! I love ginger...

Rosie said...

Your cake look very tasty! I love the Wonderful Weekend book by Elspeth Thompson. We often make a couple of her recipes from it - the Tuna and bean salad with crusty bread and the Cheese and Spinach pie:)