Saturday, 17 March 2012

In The Kitchen


There hasn't been much time for blogging lately, or for anything else now that I come to think about it.  Life seems so busy these days and I do miss visiting all of my blogging friends and reading about your adventures.  I've thought about closing my blog on a number of occasions, but I feel that I still need a place to share my thoughts and creativity (when I have the time to be creative).  For inspiration, I have been watching Kirstie's Handmade Britain, which I heard about months ago, but was unable to access at the time.  In more creative moments, I made Nigella's Chocolate Guinness Cake for my husband's birthday, which was a hit, although I must admit that I didn't like it.  I found the cake a bit too dense for my liking and it reminded me of the sort of chocolate cake they used to serve at school with custard!  Still, he enjoyed it and got to eat it all.....


A couple of weeks ago, we entertained some friends one Saturday evening and I made a trifle.  I didn't manage to get any close-up pictures of this due to a combination of factors, but mainly because the light was too poor once I actually served it.  It was delicious, though I've had to put in some extra effort with my walking to fitness after too many calories!

As for news, we are moving house again (!)  I know, we must be mad, but after a winter of freezing in a cold house, I started looking for somewhere more modern and found a cosy place which I'm really looking forward to calling home.  We move on 1st May and so I'm starting the mammoth job of packing again this week.  I hope to find the time to visit you all in the coming week, but my visits and posts may continue to be sporadic as I disappear into a pile of packing boxes.  I just hope that I can find my way out....

3 comments:

Isobel said...

Hello Marie,
What a delicious looking post. The cake and the trifle looks such a temptation!
Oh, you are moving house... Gosh, hopefuly soon it will be us. I'm looking forward to moving to a better place but not to the packing. Hehehe. :)
xx

Jane said...

HI Marie, Love the cake and trifle. I've just finished my last Wedding Cake order as we too are moving again!! This time to a cottage more than 200 yrs old... Isn't it a lovely time to move, with spring breathing it's first breath of sunshine, everything starts to look so pretty again. Hope your packing goes well, I hate that job, don't you? good luck with it all. Jane x

Tracy said...

YUMMY desserts, Marie! I've made Nigella's Guinness cake many times, and we love it. It actually freezes pretty well, icing and all. Beautiful trifle too. That's something I've not made in a long time. Trying to cut back on sugar here...with mixed success...LOL! But some mini trifles could be an idea rather than a giant one to eat up. Hoping very much all will go well with your move coming up...May is not too far off now! And I hope your next place will be a more permanent one for you both. :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))