Tuesday, 8 November 2011

The Art of Packing

Travelling to Vancouver for only three days meant that I was determined not to go weighed down with luggage.  I've often envied people who breeze through airports with a small case whilst the rest of us struggle with heavy bags.  I decided to search online for some tips.


What I discovered was an article that was published in The New York Times.  Admittedly, the flight attendant in question seemed to require an excess of clothing for a ten day trip, but it gave me the basis of packing for a trip and more importantly, how they get it all into a small bag.  It seems that the key to the process is to roll clothing rather than fold it and having tried it myself, I can confirm that for the most part it works: garments have far fewer creases and I don't need to spend half of my trip ironing.  Now if I could just pare down my toiletries, I could take it as carry-on and avoid the waiting around for my bag to be returned......

1 comment:

Tracy said...

GREAT packing tips! For shorter trip, the roll trick does work. When we have longer trips, and requiring more items it gets a bit more tricky, but the less we have the better. And what we can, we re-use or rinse... LOL... Using a smaller suitcase helps keep unnecesarry things out, and focus only on essentials. Very fun post, Marie--thanks! :o) Happy Days ((LOVE & HUGS))