Sunday, 14 August 2011


After arriving in town, we were looking forward to getting to our new home and starting the unpacking.  It is located a short drive from town so we were there within minutes.  We arrived to discover that the previous occupant was still there and had only just started the job of clearing her junk and loading her truck.  She even had the nerve to accuse us of arriving a day early, though in fact, it was she who was late leaving!  We had a signed lease from 1st August.  Anyway, we decided that a strategic withdrawal might be the best course of action, so left our truck and went to find somewhere to stay for the night.

We returned the following day to find that although the place was empty, most of her stuff was still on the driveway.  The house had not been cleaned and we faced a deadline to return the truck.  With no time to lose, we had to start unloading regardless of the mess.  It took us two days to unload in the absence of any help.  We moved 7 tonnes of stuff between the two of us and I have never ached so much in my life. 

By Wednesday evening, we were completely exhausted and barely had the energy to climb the stairs.  The place looked like a warehouse, but we had done it.  No time for a lie-in the next morning though, as we had to drive the truck to Halifax, which is two hours from here to drop it off before 9 a.m.  We both breathed a sigh of relief once we had delivered it to its destination and I was more than happy to sit in the passenger seat of our vehicle and be driven for a change.

We took advantage of being in Halifax to do a little sightseeing, visiting Nova Scotian Crystal where each piece is made by hand and Christmas By The Sea, a delightful little Christmas shop which I intend to visit again soon.  Our mini-break afternoon was over: it was time to return home and begin the lengthy job of unpacking.


Tracy said...

Goodness, Marie... in so many ways this has not been an easy move for you. I can't believe the cheek of the previous tenant! Moving is hard enough let alone having to deal with previous occupants "leftovers"! Hoping very much that by now things are starting to settle down a bit, and that the unpacking is going well, and that soon you'll fee at home! :o) Oh, but that Christmas by the Sea (wonderful name!) looks lovely. You must go back. ;o) Wishing you all the best, my friend ((LOVE & HUGS))

tea time and roses said...

Hello Marie,

So happy you are finally in your new home. What a moving day!:o) It sounds like lemons were thrown your way and you simply made lemonade!:o)

Though there is lots of unpacking ahead, enjoy a lovely week my friend.:o)



Rosie said...

After that long journey you still had to wait to get into your new home! You must have been exhausted. Hope things are sorting themselves out now and that you are settling in to your new life in a new place:)

Ava said...

What a mammoth move ! Good luck with your unpacking ! Now following xx Ava

Lulu said...

I totally feel for you, I really do. We have just made our house move, to a place 7 hours from where we were. So hard to make sure everything gets moved and nothing left behind, and the tiredness that comes with it just sucks :(

Good luck with your unpacking, hope it all goes well.