Thursday, 9 June 2011

Garden


Hello.  First of all I wanted to say that I had not intended on being away so long.  It wasn't as if I was planning a blogging break, but more a combination of circumstances.  The last few weeks have been very stressful following events which I mentioned here.  Also, our camera broke, so I wasn't able to take any photographs.  Now that I'm here, I can't promise to be around much, as there are many changes happening at the moment, but I am not in a position to share them with you at present. 

What do you think of my gardening shoes?  Not the best photograph, but you can see them better on this website.  (Apologies for the whiter than white legs!)

I've been busy growing things around here with varying degrees of success.  The first sweet peas were sown far too early.  I had them indoors and they went tall and leggy, but wouldn't climb, then promptly died when I planted them outside.  We had a very cold, wet spring, so they were indoors much longer than anticipated.  These little beauties were sown outside straight into these planters and they are coming along nicely.  I have a second planter of a different variety, but their growth is slow at present.  I do love sweet peas!  My last attempt years ago when we had a balcony ended in failure as they shrivelled in the heat before they ever flowered.

This is a pepper plant, which I bought recently.  It is the only plant that was not grown from seed.  I hear that peppers do well in our climate, so I shall wait and see.

And lots of tomato plants.  I have far too many to give them all special treatment, but the best have been planted individually and receive lots of attention.

Mixed salad leaves have been doing well.  I should have photographed them befoe I picked the first batch for a delicious salad.  They are a 'cut and come again' variety, so I'm hoping to get at least four pickings from this lot and I've just sowed some more.  I would have put them in the garden, but we have rabbits visiting at night and even occasionally during the daytime.

This is the first time that I have grown an edible garden and I'm finding the process very satisfying.  I have beetroot and carrots sown, but nothing to show just yet.


5 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi, Marie! Great to see you here... And LOVE, love, love your garden shoes! Pink and roses--so pretty. And very exciting with your garden growing and pots of things to eat... YUM! Nothing more satisfying than growing, picking and cooking your own. This year though we're not doing much with our veggie patch. With poor harvest the past 2-3 years, we've become a bit disheartened. Still will try some salads in pots, like you--those are guaranteed to grow! ;o) Happy Days in your garden, my friend ((HUGS))

tea time and roses said...

Hello Marie,

Love love your gardening shoes with pink roses all over, so pretty!:o) I would love to have a pair just like them!

Please don't apologize for your absence, sometimes things just happen and time certainly flies.:o)

I too love sweet peas, quite delicious! Your pepper and tamato plants are lovely Marie! I cannot wait to see photos once the veggies are ready and can imagine how wonderful a salad the greens will make.

Continue to enjoy your time in the garden.:o)

Smiles♥

Beverly

Isobel said...

Hi Marie,
Thank you for your comments. I love your garden shoes!! :)
Me and Hubby have tried to grow some things in the garden but not much success. Herbs grow fine though.
Your salad leaves look great!
xx

Gingham and Flowers said...

Hi Marie. I've just gone back and read the earlier post. So sorry to hear about your job. Hope things are working out now. Love the look of everything you're growing. I was really hoping to grow some salad and veg this year but with moving house it hasn't happened. I'm hoping maybe once we get moved I might have enough of the summer left to perhaps grow a bit of salad in some pots. I have some old belfast sinks that we've never used but hopefully might be just the place for growing a bit of salad and some herbs. Hope your sweet peas do well. Enjoy the gardening. Fiona x

Louise said...

Lovely edibles Marie. My sweet peas are very slow, but look now to be heading towards the base of the cane! x