Monday, 9 May 2011

Cable Cushion


I started this knitting project last October after I purchased this gorgeous Sulka yarn, which is a mixture of Merino wook, alpaca and silk.  I grossly underestimate the quantity required, as I did not have a detailed pattern, but a rough guide found on Mia's Country.

It was the first time that I had attempted cabling without a pattern and I thought that it came out rather well. 


The knitting ground to a halt once I got part-way up the back of the cushion cover because I didn't have any buttons. It took me months before I found any that I liked.

I finally tracked some down on eBay ~ beautiful rosewood buttons made in Italy ~ and they were definitely worth the wait. This weekend, I was able to complete knitting the back of the cushion cover and stitch it together.

I have to say that I'm very pleased with the results and I love my new cable cushion.

4 comments:

Rosie said...

Your cushion looks lovely - you are clever make it without a pattern:)

Tracy said...

BEAUTIFUL finish, Marie--LOVE the cushion! Everything about it is wonderful--the wool color, and those lovely, lovely rosewood button (I adore rosewood!). It looks so pretty with your comfy chair--waiting for you. It's been a long time since I knit anything with cables... this inspires. :o) Happy Day, Marie ((HUGS))

Heidi said...

You are a wonderful knitter! That is so nicely done and I love it on your glider.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Louise said...

I have always wanted a cable cushion, but they are very expensive to buy over here in the UK. You are so talented to have knitted this, let alone without a pattern! I daresay it wasn't cheap for you to make, but well worth it ... and unique. x