Saturday, 13 November 2010

An Irish Country Doctor

I love re-reading favourite books and at the moment, I'm losing myself in the life of  Dr Barrie Laverty, a newly qualified GP who takes a job in the fictional Irish village of Ballybucklebo.Set in the 1960s, it tells the tale of Barrie's daily rounds and the host of charcters he meets; against the backdrop of an era when life seemed to be lived at a slower pace.

I follow the trials and tribulations of striving for acceptance and struggling to live up to his own expectations of the job.  An Irish Country Doctor strikes a chord with me because I am facing a similar situation when I start life as a community-based midwife in the very near future.  It is a cosy, heart-warming book and I know that I will be left yearning for more when I turn the final page.

1 comment:

winnibriggs said...

That sounds a perfect half hour read to unwind before bedtime. Will be looking that up. Thanks for sharing and good luck in your new job.