Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Thoughts Of Christmas

I know that it may seem too early for some readers, but my thoughts have turned to Christmas.  I think that it is partly due to the fact that we are now in the last quarter of the calendar year and also because I am hoping to create handmade gift.  If I am going to have time to make things, I need to start now.


On a recent trip to the newsagent, I discovered the December issue of The English Home, complete with supplement of Christmas Past & Present.  I don't normally buy this magazine, but I did treat myself to the Christmas issue.

Home-Made Christmas is a delightful addition to my collection, which I purchased with gift money last year.  I had read a review of Christmas books and it was highly recommended. 

In the meantime, I can sit down and browse some of my other books to get into a creative mood, including A Greener Christmas by Sheherazade Goldsmith.  I moved away from the more commercial elements of Christmas some years ago and enjoy making natural decorations from dried fruits and foliage and this book has some terrific ideas. 

It is time to get my 'workshop' set up and get busy.

I would have posted links to the books mentioned at The Book Depository, but their website is down for maintenance.  If you haven't discovered it yet, it is the best place to buy books, as there is free worldwide shipping and no minimum order requirement.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

What a LOVELY selection of sources for ideas, Marie! I love The English Home, and sometimes can get it here. I've been trying to turn my thoughts to Christmas too... trying to... LOL! Enjoy your holiday preparation. Gosh, it's all just around the corner, isn't it?! Happy Days, my friend ((LOVE & HUGS))

Rosie said...

I guess if we are making and baking for the festive season then it is time to start looking for ideas and getting started. Your book looks lovely and full of good ideas. The Christmas Past and Present supplement also looks lovely.