Wednesday, 27 October 2010

Meet The Tooth Fairy

I found myself wondering what to give my niece for her sixth birthday and then I thought about teeth.  She  is approaching the age when her baby teeth will be falling out and I came up with the idea of a pillow.  Anyway, I did a bit of searching online and found an even better idea ~ a tooth fairy!

This was a fun and fairly easy project which was quickly completed once I had stopped procrastinating about dragging my sewing machine out of its usual place.  The one problem was that the fabric glue I purchased wouldn't stick felt, so I ended up trying to handsew the pocket through hard glue!  Yes, the fairy's mouth is a pocket for the tooth.  As my niece enjoys ballet; I thought that a ballerina tooth fairy was most appropriate.

In my day, I used to put my tooth under my pillow and find a sixpence in the morning.  I think that times have changed.  I don't know what the going rate is for a tooth these days.  If you want to create your own tooth fairy, you can find the pattern here.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh, my goodness... that is ADORABLE, Marie! It is just sooo cute! Your niece is going to LOVE it! And how not to... You did a terrific job on the fairy. What a great idea, and great pattern too. When I was young I also had a little pillow-thing for under my pillow, with tiny pocket for my tooth--and in the morning a shining coin was there. There does seem to be many advances with things for children in these modern times...I feel old at moments, LOL! Thanks so much for sharing your handiwork--great fun to see. Happy weekend ahead, my friend! :o) ((LOVE & HUGS))

Rosie said...

What a great idea - love your tooth fairy. I've just been reading through all your recent posts - I've missed quite a few so have enjoyed catching up:)

Louise said...

I really love your customised tooth fairy. It's beautifully made. I am sure your niece is going to love her too. Brought a smile to my face! x