Saturday, 5 June 2010

By Lamplight

Last night I was called out to assess a baby with feeding difficulties. It was the first time that I had been called to an Amish farm after dark and it was a very different experience to going out during the day.

We drove up to the farm and as we approached we could see flickering lamps/candles in the windows. The rest of the place was in darkness, but thankfully, one of the family came out with a light to guide us safely to the door. (How I managed to forget a torch, I don't know!)

Once inside the farmhouse kitchen, we found the whole family gathered. The kerosene lamps cast a soft glow on the gathering and they were all there waiting to hear our opinion on their new baby. It is a large family of mostly girls, so there is no shortage of help when it comes to baby care.

There is something about the quiet simplicity of their lives which struck a chord. They seem so happy and contented living away from the crazy everyday existence that most of us seem to have these days. It was a very special experience to spend a short time in their midst; to see their smiles and listen to their expressed concern.

I have been to this farm on a number of occasions and on each of them, I see hard work and industry, but I also note the sense of joy in their shared activities and yesterday heard one of the daughters singing in the kitchen as she did the baking (I visited three times during the course of the day.)

I came away thinking about how different life can be if we choose to live in the moment, rather than being so busy with activity that we miss what is happening around us: the joy of simple pleasures and the importance of surrounding ourselves with those whom we love.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

This is such a beautiful and tender heartfelt post, Marie! Your Amish experience really went to the heart. :o) Though I've not had personal contact with the Amish, I grew up and lived very near to Amish communities. I have long admired their way of living. They do not embrace the modern way where the latest & greatest & crazy-busy-till-you-drop is supposed to make us feel like we have it all... yet the Amish seem to have it all, don't they? Their life of devotion, hard work, and simpler pleasures truly inspires. I think I could drop the buzz of modern life for horse & buggy and baking pies... But I am here, now and find much inspiration from your post to enjoy it more. Thank you for this one! Happy Weekend, my friend :o) ((BIG HUGS))

tea time and roses said...

Hello Marie!

A lovely post indeed. Like Tracy I too admire the simply life of the Amish, not only do they live a beautiful life of simplicity many are amazing crafts people. Each day I strive to simplify my life and find it to be a good thing.

Thanks for this lovely post. Enjoy a most lovely week.

Smiles...

Beverly