Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Armchair Traveller


It is interesting how at times I am drawn to a little escapism and start reading about the lives of those who have left the shores of their homeland and made their homes elsewhere. Recently, I have enjoyed Peter Mayles' books Toujours Provence and French Lessons before dipping into Frances Mayes' Under The Tuscan Sun.

Having enjoyed reading Under The Tuscan Sun for a second time, I then watched the film version, which is very loosely based on the book.

It seems that at times when life becomes stressful, a little armchair travelling can bring some much-needed relaxation or maybe it is just that I would rather be anywhere but here at the moment.

5 comments:

VintagePretty said...

Hello :)

I read Under A Tuscan Sun quite a few years ago and enjoyed doing my own little bit of armchair travelling, and now I am looking forward to actually going to Italy this autumn!

I hope you're okay and are still enjoying your midwifery placement. Being in such an exciting place must be really invigorating (I doubt you'd get anything as interesting or as culturally diverse as an Amish community anywhere in England!).

Take care :)

Debbie said...

That seems like an interesting book!
I totally agree with you. We all need to do some escapism... once in an all!

DEBBIE MOSS

Tracy said...

That is one of my favorite reads, and the film based on the book is fun too... Definitely arm chair travel at its best! :o) Love the new photo of you in the sidebar Marie... Happy Days ((HUGS))

Rosie said...

I have 'Under the Tuscan Sun' on my bookshelves too! Liked the film as well great armchair/garden chair escapism! Have you read 'Enchanted April' by Elizabeth Arnhem? Both book and film are my favourite escapes:)

Heidi said...

I loved this book so ordered the DVD as soon as it came out. I was so disappointed that it was not the story in the book but eventually just appreciated the film for itself. Her friendships that she develops with the workers in her house is so heartwarming.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi