Saturday, 19 December 2009

Christmas Reading ~ Part Two

The second book in my Christmas reading this year is Christmas At Thrush Green. I always enjoy Miss Read stories and this new novel is no exception.

I think that there is something magical about escaping to a country village at Christmas and if I can't do so in reality, at least I can in the pages of this book. As Christmas approaches, we join the villagers in their preparations for the Nativity play. There is a real sense of tradition ~ in following in the footsteps of the generations in their Christmas celebrations.

I remember spending Christmas 2004 in a little village in North Yorkshire and attending a magical carol service at the village church, which may be familiar to some of you from the television series, Heartbeat. Yes, we went to St Mary's Church in Goathland, otherwise known as Aidensfield.

Walking from the church afterwards and looking up into the sky, which was clear and full of stars. Hearing the ground crunch under our feet and then driving across the Moors to the cottage where we stayed is a memory which will last a lifetime. And in many ways, this is what Christmas is about ~ renewing those traditional celebrations and adding another layer to existing memories.

5 comments:

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

You describe a perfect sounding settiong for Christmas! I have never read her books but I am very much inclined to now.

Have a lovely Christmas

Warm wishes

Isabelle x

Rosie said...

Oh, that looks a wonderful, comforting and festive read for Christmas. I grew up in a small village and still remember the festive season and activities there culminating in Midnight mass at the village church and the walking home together wishing each other a Merry Christmas - occasionally in the snow:)

Vintage Amethyst said...

Aaahhh I do really love the Miss Read books they are just so sweet.
I haven't got this one though, ooohhh something to add to my Christmas list (ever growing by the day & with only a few days to go!!!)
Aaahhh Goathland, how lovely to spend time there at Christmas. I was hoping to take a trip there next week but with all this snow we have & the roads I'm not sure we will make it.
Have a lovely Sunday
Love
Alison
x

Tracy said...

The delights of Miss Read's world... So wonderful, now those are stories I'd love to step right into. And this Christmas story is so sweet--the best of Christmas! Happy Days making ready for the holidays, Marie. :o) ((BIG HUGS))

Priscilla said...

Thank you for the Miss Read Recommendation, I came across a few of these books recently working in the charity shop and wondered what they were like.... I hope they are still there when I go back ..Merry Christmas xx

Priscilla x