Monday, 7 December 2009

Christmas Amaryllis

The plan was to have a beautiful flowering red amaryllis for Christmas. I have bought bulbs as gifts before, but never actually planted one myself. I read the box and the instructions were to allow 6-10 weeks for flowering, so I planted it six weeks before Christmas.

Within days, it had already got to the stage of the first photograph and inside two weeks, it was pushing ever upward ~ so fast that I could almost watch it grow.

Now, with almost three weeks to go until Christmas, it has burst into flower. I'm hoping that it will still be flowering at Christmas.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

WOW...so beautiful, Marie--that red color is glorious! They do hold their flowers quite long, so it is possible it might hang on for at least the early bit of the holiday. I have forced hyacinths just coming into bloom now. My paper whites have been slow coming round, I think we may miss seeing them when we go away for Christmas. Isn't it lovely having these special flowers at the holidays? Happy Week, my friend :o) ((BIG HUGS))

louise said...

Maybe keep it somewhere cool, and it just might be! Amaryllis are rather lovely aren't they. x

Rose Charles said...

wow, that is impressive! I hope it lasts until xmas for you :)
Rose xxx

Vintage Amethyst said...

How lovely.
I know what you mean though, I received one for Christmas a few years ago & planted it & it literally grew right before my eyes. I just didn't expect them to grow so fast!
love
Alison
x

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Dear Marie!

How beautiful is your Christmas Amaryllis and the blooming is just in time for Christmas!:o) Such a beautiful shade of red. The Amaryllis is such a lovely flower.

Thank you so much for the lovely comment about my latest jewelry pieces. I am having a wonderful time with beads.:o) I was thinking of you just the other day and those beautiful snow scenes you share with us each Christmas Holiday. It is raining and a little chilly here today. The rain is making for a quiet and very peaceful day. Wishing you a lovely week my friend.:o)

Smiles...

Beverly