Monday, 16 November 2009

Lake Erie Adventure

We found ourselves on the shores of Lake Erie on Thursday after a meeting I was to have attended was cancelled at the last minute. This is an area of Ontario which is new to me, so I was interested to see it.

Lake Erie is divided between Canada and the United States and the opposite shoreline is Ohio. Though the smallest of the Great Lakes, it is renowned for its ferocious storms, due mainly to the fact that it is shallow (for a lake).


We visited Erieau in the region of Chatham-Kent. This gives the impression of being a holiday resort, as there are lots of rental cottages and many of the homes are already battened down for the winter.

It was another glorious day. We have been so lucky with the weather during the last week or so. It was mild enough to be outdoors for a few minutes without a jacket.

We journeyed on to Port Stanley and had lunch at this little bistro/restaurant. It was getting late, so we didn't have time to explore the village, but we intend to go back in the future and have another look.

This is one of the more unusual cottages overlooking the shore.

It was a wonderful day and a real adventure. Sadly, we had to return to reality and go home, but I look forward to more days like this next year.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

It looks really beautiful there! I hope you get to go back so you can show us more another time...tee-hee... Thanks for this outing though. :o) Happy week, my friend ((BIG HUGS))

Heidi said...

Hi Marie! I would have been waving from you on the other side of the lake before I moved to Holland. :-)

You won my giveaway and I am trying to find your email in my address book to let you know. I need to you email me your address so I can send you the coasters. Congratulations!

Hugs ~
Heidi

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Dear Marie,

How beautiful this place is! I would love to visit. Such beautiful photos. I know you had a wonderful time there. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful time away with us. Enjoy a lovely week.

Smiles...

Beverly

louise said...

It's so important to make the best of the very little freetime we have. It does the world of good to visit somewhere for the day. Lake Erie looks like a relaxing place to visit, and a nice area to have lunch in too. x

Rosie said...

What a gorgeous place to enjoy your unexpected free time:)