Thursday, 5 November 2009

Guy Fawkes' Night

Remember remember the fifth of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

Traditional Nursery Rhyme

I know that I live in Canada now, but the 5th of November will always be associated with Guy Fawkes' Night. We may not be able to have a bonfire and fireworks (we live in an apartment!), but one of these days, we will celebrate in style.



Guy Fawkes was born in York in 1570 and his notoriety originated from a plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605. He and his co-conspirators placed barrels of gunpowder in the cellars below Parliament and the attempt became known as The Gunpowder Plot. The Catholic Guy Fawkes wished to blow up the monarch, King James I because he was Protestant and there were heavy penalities for practising Catholicism. The plot was foiled and the conspirators executed.

King James I declared 5th November a day of thanksgiving for deliverance and the populace celebrated Bonfire Night ~ a celebration that continues to this day.

2 comments:

Vintage Amethyst said...

Hi Marie
We won't be having any fireworks tonight but as I mentioned on the blog hoping to go to a few displays & bonfires.
I love York too, I did get the photo from the web though as I couldn't seem to find mine of the pub sign!
*eek* it is getting really cold here now, winter is definitely on it's way! How is the weather with you?
love
Alison
x

Tracy said...

It is funny how events like this turn into celebrations... Hope you at least lit some candles in lieu of the bonfire! Happy weekend, Marie :o) ((BIG HUGS))