Wednesday, 18 November 2009

Feeding Time

Feeding my Christmas cakes with brandy has become a weekly ritual. For really moist flavourful cakes, I find that it is best to bake them in late September/early October and then liberally feed them each week. The air is filled with the aroma of spices and fruit cake, mixed with brandy.

I leave them uncovered until the brandy has soaked into the fruit, then wrap them up again in greaseproof paper and foil. The first of the cakes is going to be served before Christmas, so I want to get it as moist as possible before I have to start the icing.

5 comments:

louise said...

Even though I love Christmas Cake, I haven't ever made one. I remember as a child helping my Mum prick holes in her cake and regularly injecting it with brandy! It's best not to save the whole cake until Christmas as everyone fills up on other goodies over the holidays. x

Vintage Amethyst said...

Oh my, I just love Christmas cake. Yummy!
Oh I am so glad it wasn't just us then with the carpark! The door you had to go through to get up the stairs looked as if you shouldn't be going through it, it was all just weird! The signs weren't very big at all pointing in the direction of the mystery door! Glad it isn't just us then. Lol!
love
Alison
x

Rosie said...

Mmm - I can smell it from here - I hope you let us see the finished cake:)

Primrose Corner said...

That Christmas cake looks very promising. I absolutely love Christmas cake.... it's a nice ritual to feed it up until just the right time over the Christmas holidays.

Tracy said...

LOVE the title of the post, Marie...and even more your cake... Nothing like a real English Christmas cake...mmm... Happy Day, my friend ((HUGS))