Saturday, 1 August 2009

Back To My Roots

No matter how long I have been away, I am still drawn back to my Yorkshire roots. Whenever you tell someone in the U.K. that you are from Yorkshire, they immediately refer to images of bygone days. I remember when I returned to the north of England and my leaving card at work was full of references to flat caps, pit ponies and clogs!

Anyway, for those of you who are not from God's Own Country, as Yorkshire folk like to refer to it, I would like to bring your attention to the fact that today is Yorkshire Day. A time for celebration of all the great things about this beautiful county.

Wherever Yorkshire folk may roam in the world, they are still proud to call Yorkshire home.
Happy Yorkshire Day!

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Hope you had a lovely Yorkshire Day, Marie! I love that Yorkshire saying--it is perfect for a perfect corner of the world. Such fun to see a glimpse of your home county...*sigh*... Happy Day, my friend :o) ((HUGS))

Rosie said...

As a Derbyshire girl may I wish you a belated Happy Yorkshire Day:) - I love Yorkshire too - especially the coast around Whitby and Staithes and the North Yorkshire Moors around Danby and Castleton:)

Wild Rose said...

Tracy ~ thsnks for your good wishes.

Rosie ~ the photo is Robin Hood's Bay, but you are right about this stretch of coastline ~ I lovw Whitby too and I long to see the Moors in August again when they are covered in purple heather.

Marie x

Vintage Amethyst said...

Oh I see the wonderful Goathland there!!!
I feel so guilty being here now when you are so far away, lol!
Now with reference to the Bon Bons, there is no way I could have sweeties hanging around in glass jars all day every day! I am quite big enough as it is without this sweetie temptation, hence no bon bons just pretty jars. Lol!
love
Alison
x

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Dear Marie!

Happy belated Yorkshire Day! I wish someday to travel abroad to some of these beautiful places.:o) Hope you had a fabulous weekend and wishing you a most lovely week.:o) Chat with you soon.:o)

Smiles...

Beverly

Heidi said...

I knew you were from England but not from Yorkshire. Where in Yorkshire? It is my home away from home. My English mum and dad are from Dewsbury and are wonderful folk. My very favorite spot is Haworth and second is any of James Harriott country. Did you know that they call Yorkshire and Ohio Amish country the same - God's own country?

Hugs ~
Heidi