Monday, 20 July 2009

New Direction

There is something about a blank calendar that makes me feel uneasy. I suppose that it is because I like to know what is happening in my life: I am a planner and a list maker and I don't enjoy uncertainty or change.

About a year ago, I sat down and examined my life and the direction that it was taking and decided to ask myself some questions about the future. What do I want to happen? Where do I want to be? I thought about the work that I had done over the years and realized something significant ~ I missed being a midwife.


To cut a long story short, I applied to do a midwifery bridging programme with a view to practising as a midwife in Canada. I took the entrance examinations in June, which was nerve-wracking, as I haven't practised in many years. I thought that I had failed because I remembered all sorts of things that eluded me during the exams, but imagine my delight when I received the offer of a place! Out of more than 45 who originally applied, only 17 places were offered.

I attended the orientation/study day last Tuesday and the studying has begun. With seven distance education modules to complete between now and September, I am in for a busy summer. The first module is my midwifery portolio ~ my story of how I became a midwife and what I enjoyed about my practice.

So now, my life is set to undergo a huge change of direction over the coming months. However, I find that I don't really mind because all of a sudden, my calendar is looking very full!

10 comments:

sweetmyrtle said...

it is actually taking the decision to make changes which i always find the hardest... wishing you lots of success with your studies and your full calender marie,
thanks for popping by on my blog today, lovely to hear from you.
xx

Sal said...

Here's wishing you all the best in your new career!
;-)

Lynda Naranjo said...

That sounds exciting, Marie! One door closes and another one opens ... I've always found that to be so true. Good luck with your studies!

xo,
Lynda

P.K said...

sounds like a rewarding yet challenging new direction, congratulations and best wishes

Tracy said...

So exciting, Marie! I know how hard you've been working toward this moment since last year and I am so happy for you how things are going! Just making a decision can be a huge step in itself...and then baby steps follow until the picture starts taking shape. I hope so much you will enjoy this time of study and that is offers you new opportunities...May all your dreams come true and more! :o) Keep us posted when you can. I'm sorry to be so late visiting--it's been rather a hectic week. I will email you. Happy weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

Rosie said...

Thanks for your lovely comments. Sounds like exciting changes are coming for you - hope all goes well:)

Heidi said...

What an exciting time for you Marie! I wish you the best of luck as you face this new phase in your life.

Hugs ~
Heidi

Vintage Amethyst said...

Oh my goodness this is fantastic news Marie, how wonderful.
Congratulations & wishing you the best of luck.
love
Alison
x

Primrose Corner said...

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful thing to be doing. I wish you well with your studies and admire you for taking the time and being brave enough to make the changes you wanted to make happen. I'm thrilled for you.

louise said...

It takes a brave decision to make changes in your life, I know only too well. I haven't met my goal yet, but hope to one day? Lots of best wishes to you Marie, and good luck with your studies. x