Sunday, 5 April 2009

Help!

I have been busy working on my coastal cross-stitch during the early evenings of the past week, whilst the light was still good enough to see the stitches. It must be six months since I attached the canvas to the frame and as I had never worked such a large piece before, I bought a stand for it. I had been working using the stand until a couple of weeks ago when I decided that I was tired of getting a stiff neck from trying to work the reverse and removed it.


I have been working the centre of the design and spent many hours adding the butterfly. I have had no reason to move the canvas until today, when I wanted to work some of the design above the butterfly. Imagine my horror when I discovered that the frame bracket has made a hole in the fabric! The hole is visible just below the wooden bracket on the photo below.

I have been trying to decide how best to repair this or whether I am going to have to throw the whole thing away. The only solution that I have thought of so far is to use white Bondaweb on the reverse and hope that it doesn't show. I haven't even worked out whether this part of the fabric is to be worked in cross-stitch, or whether the ugly hole is going to be clearly visible in the centre of the design...any suggestions of possible ways to repair this would be appreciated.

5 comments:

P.K said...

would extending or adding clouds work?

Tracy said...

Oh, no, Marie...that is so sad! All that work so far...The Bondweb might work. What you may want to do at this point is look at the pattern and see if the design does indeed go all the way up to where the hole is. Is this a kit where you are supplied with the embroidery threads? Do you have the color numbers for what you have worked already? Is so, you could opt to start over...I know, that sounds horrible--LOL! But I'm not sure how else you'd hide the hole unless the Bondweb doesn't work and you need to keep going with the desgin. This is a tough call...Will this be a framed art piece when finished? If so, perhaps the frame will cover the bad patch? A tip for next time using your frame, may be to use strips of muslin, or other thin fabic, baste it to the edge of the cross stitch fabric piece and then insert it into the frame. The whole thing will be taught enough to work with and should spare your fine cross stitch fabric if it is to be in a frame for long. Let us know how you get on from here...((HUGS))

Wild Rose said...

Thanks to P.K. and Tracy for your comments. The trouble is that this is a large design and I have now discovered that the hole will not be covered by stitches. Still thinking about this one...

Marie x

Tracy said...

What will this work be finished as--framed? Perhaps you can get away with making it a small finished piece...into cushion maybe, so as to avoid dealing with much of the ruined section...hhhmmm...I'm still thinking on this one for you, Marie. LOL! :o) ((HUGS)) I hope Heidi gets here with her needlework expertise!

Heidi said...

Hi Marie! Just read everything and your comments to PK and Tracy about the design not covering the hole. How far away will the stitching be from the damaged area? Can you measure that out and let me know before I suggest some things?

Hugs ~
Heidi