Monday, 26 January 2009

Avoidance

The Christmas cake has all gone now ~ I wish that I could say the same about the snow! It remains very slippery underfoot and it is quite a challenge to get around without falling over.

I had to go 'downtown' this morning (as we refer to it here in Canada), so I hopped on the subway (underground) and was quickly transported to somewhere near my destination: in this instance, the university library. After a short, but chilly walk in the cold, I was soon browsing through the reference section.

Now I love books and could spend hours browsing through the shelves of a previously unvisited library, but I was a woman on a mission today. I had to locate two weighty volumes relating to cosmetic ingredients in order to respond to a letter that I received from Health Canada before Christmas.

Having done my research, I was able to head home after another couple of stops along the way for various bits of shopping.

Once I had typed my letter and got it ready to post, I had planned to spend this afternoon studying for an assessment that I have next month; but I've been procrastinating. So far, I've made a batch of chocolate chip cookies after complaints that there were no treats in the house and I've been bottling natural glass cleaner. I'm sure that if I keep thinking long enough I can come up with a few more excuses as to why I don't have time to open my books...

12 comments:

Primrose Corner said...

Yesterdays procrastination involved me wondering if I should make another Christmas cake and pretend it was something else. I was trying not to face some fabric dying which I need to do for my next assessment..... today I have to get it done.... it always find you in the end.

Veronica said...

Ummm, procastination or just some time for the brain to clear and see the way forward....??? Better if you are feeling fresh for study - I have lost count of the times I've stared and stared at the words in my textbooks and wasted time doing it! You've been working so hard and deserve to take a (small!) break every now and then. You'll be fresh and raring to go when you do. Hugs, V xx

Heidi said...

We all have days like that. And if needed, we all can come up with 1001 excuses. :) I did that today actually now that I think about it. I just hate our shopping area here and avoid it like the plague. I did not want to go get groceries. So in the end, I decided I had what I needed to make risotto and did not go out to get my other ingredients. LOL! See...you are perfectly normal to procrastinate.

Hugs ~
Heidi

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Marie!

Procrastination, something I do know a little about!:o) You know, I know procrastination is not a good thing, but I have to admit there are times when a little wait caused me to dive in and really turn out something wonderful! No I am not advocating procrastination, but we women have been known to do our best work under fire!!:o) Hope your week thus far has been a lovely one!

Smiles...

Beverly

Veronica said...

Hi Marie, Have been trying to leave this comment for a little while now, but Blogger seems to have other ideas..... fingers crossed this time!
Sometimes we just need to give ourselves a little downtime - let our brains refresh and re-energise, otherwise we can waste time by just staring at the words on the page. You have been working such long, inhospitable hours lately so no wonder you need to chill. Love yourself dear Marie and enjoy. You know that you will focus on that study - that's the kind of person you are. Love, Vxx

Ragged Roses said...

I am the master of procrastination too! There seems to be no end of things to do when there is something lurking on the horizon that I really don't want to do ...Good luck with it all. Take care
Kimx

Wild Rose said...

Thank you to all of you for the 1001 reasons for procrastination!
I think that my brain has been a bit foggy because when I originally posted this, I couldn't even remember the word for this activity!!!

Marie x

Britt-Arnhild said...

What a cute snowman. Did you use it to decorate a cake? Did you make it yourself?

Priscilla said...

ha,ha I too have bouts of doing everything but what I should! Glad you enjoyed the trip to the library! Books are the one thing I get side tracked by, oh and the tv!

Wild Rose said...

Yes, the snowman came off our Christmas cake, but no, I didn't make it myself. It was actually a present from my sister.

Marie x

Tracy said...

Ah, a subject many know so well--LOL! And the more we have to do, the easier it becomes somehow to keep the procrastination going, doesn't it? Well, you've been doing so much lately, so much study too...a little break, an indulgence or two is a very good, sensible thing. A healthy amount of enjoyment between all the practical things helps evens things out...Be taking care, keep warm...and enjoy everything when you can! LOVE & ((HUGS))

Lynda ~ Among the Hedgerows said...

Hi Marie! Reading for pleasure is one thing but reading dry volumes because you have to isn't.

What do you use for glass cleaner? I've been using vinegar & distilled water ... much better for my asthma than Windex!

Hope you're staying warm while tunnelling through all this snow. Spring can't come too soon for me!

xo,
Lynda