Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Christmas Crafts

Some weeks ago, I purchased a copy of Sew Fabulous Fabric which was co-written by my blog friend Ginny at The Flour Loft. There are so many interesting projects in this book that it was hard to decide which to try first, but as it was approaching Christmas, I decided to buy some fabric to make Christmas tree ornaments.

I bought some vintage Laura Ashley fabric on eBay and thought that it would be perfect for these pretty hearts and the little bird design. Having cut out the designs before Christmas, I ran out of time, so I didn't actually finish the sewing until after Boxing Day.


These little decorations are filled with the delightful Christmas scent recipe suggested in the book ~ a blend of orange, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, green cardamon and black pepper. It is a spicy blend that delights the senses.

This was an enjoyable project and I look forward to trying some of the other suggestions in this book, which I reviewed here.

8 comments:

Ginny said...

Hi Marie, they are perfect and how nice to see them. We have used this print and a green vintage Laura Ashley of the same design on many stockings and other items in the past. It has been one of our most favourite ever fabrics. Love the decs and so pleased you like Alice's Christmas scent blend.
Wishing you a very Happy New Year Marie and may it bring all that you wish for.
Thank you for being such a lovely blog friend.
See you in 2009
with love
Ginny xx

Gingham and Flowers said...

Hi Marie. Love the sweet little decorations. That book is definitely on my wish list for 2009. I've been meaning to write for a couple of days to let you know I received the beautiful calendar and thank you so much for it. It is already up next to my work space and filled in with numerous dates already. Hope you have a lovely new years eve what ever you're doing. Sending love and best wishes to you for 2009. Fiona x

Heidi said...

You are the second blogger to talk about this book. Another blogging friend of mine bought it and started projects back in the autumn.

Happy New Year!

Hugs ~
Heidi

Tracy said...

Those are such pretty ornaments, Marie! And the vintage fabrics are lovely--those soft shades make a nice contrast to the "traditional" Christmas colors. Ginny's book looks so good--it's on my list. :o) Making holiday ornaments is such a pleasurable thing. I didn't get to make any this past holiday, sadly...but hope to next year. There just seemed not enough crafting time this past holiday since we took our Christmas trip to my family so early before the holidays--LOL! Hope in spite of work you're getting some rest and enjoyment here the tail end of the season. Happy New Year, my friend ((HUGS)) Wishing you & Paul happiest day ahead! :o)

thriftymrs said...

Pretty little hearts.

Mia said...

Happy New Year, Marie! I like your Christmas ornaments, and I can still remember the plum coloured Nutmeg fabric from Laura Ashley that you have used. It was one of the first Laura Ashley fabrics I ever bought, and I really liked it, than as I do now.

Primrose Corner said...

Beautiful ornaments Marie. I have used that fabric for so many things. It's a beautiful print. I'm even more tempted by that book now.

louise said...

I was lucky enough to win a copy of Ginny's book. Making these was one of the projects which I thought I may be able to take on. I think the fabric you have chosen is perfect and the smell of the filling must be wonderful. x