Friday, 21 November 2008

The Seagull's Laughter


I am always on the hunt for an engaging movie and I spotted this one at the library. Now, I must admit that I am not a fan of subtitled films, probably because I rarely sit and watch t.v. without a craft project in progress and I cannot have busy hands when I have to stare at the screen.

The Seagull's Laughter is in its original Icelandic and tells the tale of Freya, who left her native country when she married an American serviceman and returns in 1953 as a widow. She moves in with distant relatives who find her something of a mystery; especially 11 year-old Agga. She attracts a lot of attention from the men of the town as she vamps around in her fancy and impressive wardrobe of clothes.

The film is based on the Icelandic sagas of strong-willed females and the result is engaging and funny. It is quite a while since I have enjoyed a foreign film as much as this one. If you are looking for something a little different, this could be the movie for you.

5 comments:

carolyn said...

Sub-titles are tricky and dubbing can sometimes be just palin awful but I think pnce you get your head around it they are all okay. Thereare some great foriegn language films out there and it seems a shame to miss them.

Tracy said...

Hi, Marie! I'm like you...I can't sit still and just watch a movie...I have to knit or sew or something--LOL! Great minds think alike! ;o) But this film sounds wonderful...I've got it on my list. Thanks for the recommendation. I'd not heard of this one before. I wonder if our local library has it? Will see...Sorry not much in the way of notes this week. Crazy-busy *SIGH* and more likely for the weekend...I'll write you a real note early next week! :o) Happy weekend, my friend ((BIG HUGS))

LOUISE said...

I have a very short concentration span and I think to follow sub-titles would be a struggle for me. I have to say the plot of this film does sound very good. x

Barbara said...

I have never read an'Iclandic' saga. Sounds in teresting.

The sheaves of corn look like over sized shaving brushes.

Hope you get to Suffolk one day.

Wild Rose said...

Carolyn ~ yes, subtitles are tricky and I detest dubbing.

Tracy ~ I hope that you can track down a copy.

Louise ~ that is the problem with most of the subtitled films that I have seen, but this one held my interest until the end.

Barbara ~ one day...

Marie x