Tuesday, 8 July 2008

In The Frame

Quite some time ago, I came across a coastal cross-stitch sampler on eBay. I didn't win it, but after some investigating; I did manage to buy a copy of the chart from someone else. After I discovered Willow Fabrics in the U.K. I was able to buy the bits that make up the rest of the kit and last week; I got my (belated) birthday present of the frame and stand.

Due to the fact that I was busy doing a show in Cobourg the packages remained unopened until this weekend, when I finally got it all assembled and ready to start. I did enjoy playing with the colours of the various stranded cottons ~ as you can see, there are rather a lot of colours in this design.

I must confess to a little nervousness about making the first stitches and progressed little beyond marking the centre of the fabric with a pin and spending a considerable amount of time studying the chart.

On Sunday I finally made the first tentative stitches and the efforts above took about two and a half hours. To say that this is going to be a long project is an understatement!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

A lighthouse! I knew there would be one and that is how I started talking to you after sending Lynda a lighthouse design to pass on to you. :) This is going to be wonderful I am sure. Don't worry about how long it takes, just enjoy the moments you sit peacefully and work on it. I always tell the ladies in my quilt group that 15 minutes spent with a needle in hand is 15 minutes closer to the finish. What matters most is that you enjoy the process of making it. Have fun and please share your progress every now and then. I would love to see it.

Hugs ~
Heidi

Priscilla said...

Love all the cottons, it looks lke its going to be a wonderful project, yes time does fly but it all adds up after a while all those little stitches start to resemble something! he,he. Thank you for the link to Willow Fabrics, I have been looking for another uk stitch site. I shop at http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ it has many kits, charts fabrics and cottons etc, a wonderful site......

I would love to see a picture of the design you are stitching.....look forward to seeing your progress

Priscilla x

Wild Rose said...

Priscilla ~ sadly, I don't have a picture of the design ~ only a copy of the chart, as I was unable to buy the whole kit.

Marie