Tuesday, 27 May 2008

Kind-Hearted Miss Matty

(Image courtesy of BBC Video)

After listening to talk of Cranford on BBC Radio 2 for weeks, I finally had an opportunity to find out what all the fuss was about, when PBS broadcast the series over the course of three weeks.

I have to admit that I did not take to the series immediately; possibly because I was somewhat distracted during the first (double) episode and I found it hard to get interested in the story. All this changed however, by the time I had watched it the following week ~ I wanted to know more about the lives of sisters Miss Matty and Miss Deborah Jenkins and the other women of Cranford.

For those of you who have yet to see it; I won't spoil the plot. It is a costume drama based on Elizabeth Gaskell's novel of the same name. Life in the 1840's Cheshire market town of Cranford is on the cusp of change with the arrival of the railway. It is the time of the Industrial Revolution in Britain, but also a time of new and innovative ideas in medicine, which are witnessed with the arrival of a new physician; the handsome Dr Harrison.

I do hope that the BBC plan to make more period dramas, as no-one else manages to make them quite so well.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I was so excited to watch this when it was on months ago on the BBC and must say I was thrilled with it from the first moment to the last. I did not want it to end! I think they veared from the novel but the characters were so endearing and made you long for the next episode.

I agree with you that noone does a period drama like the BBC. Noone! You will now have Larkrise to Candleford to look forward to soon and it is just as wonderful. They are advertising a new drama about Florence Nightingale starting this Sunday. I am leary of it as it looks like it might be too gory but will see how it is.

Hope you are well? Are you busy with any fairs at the moment?

Hugs ~
Heidi

Tracy said...

I loved this series! And I always love a BBC costume drama...I have heard that there is to be a sequel of sorts to Cranford...I hope so! I read the book this is based on--it is a great read. Happy weekend, Marie ((HUGS))

Marie said...

Hi Marie. Thanks so much for visiting my journal and saying hello! I am from NS as you know but also used to live in Georgetown which is just outside of Toronto. Cranford was such a lovely series. You might be interested in another one that was also on the BBC this past year called "Larkrise to Candleford." It was wonderful. They are filming a second series of it as well so I can imagine you will be able to buy the DVD's of the first series soon. Well worth the money I'd say. OH, I just noticed someone else telling you about the same series! haha, what am I like!