Tuesday, 29 April 2008

The Country Diary Of An Edwardian Lady

Edith Holden was born in Worcester, England, in 1871. She was an artist, illustrator and teacher and she is probably best remembered for her nature notes, which were published posthumously in 1977 as The Country Diary Of An Edwardian Lady.

Edith wrote her diary about her observations of nature and illustrated them with drawings and poems. Her illustrations are quite exquisite and detailed and I love to think of her out enjoying her walks and spending time obsesrving the beauty of nature around her.

Her entry for 29th April 1906 reads:

'Heavy snow shower in the night: when I looked out this morning the landscape was all white; the distant tors veiled in a mist of driving sleet. Bright sunshine later, with fine effects of sunlight on the distant tors covered with snow.

The Cuckoo has been heard long ago in other parts of the county; but up here on the moors we have not yet heard it.'

Sadly, Edith died a tragic death by drowning in the River Thames near Kew Gardens in March of 1920, while gathering buds from chestnut trees. It appeared that she had over-reached and fallen into the river.

The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady is a beautiful keepsake and a delightful read.

4 comments:

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Marie.......

I felt sure I’d left you a comment yesterday, but obviously not, I can’t see it, maybe it didn’t go through. Thank you for stopping by, its always good to hear from you. I was sorry to read that you have not been well Marie, I thought you hadn’t been blogging as regularly as you usually do. Take care.... I hope the improvement in the weather helps cheer you up and you make a full recovery very soon.

Marie..... You are a girl after my own heart with so many of the books you feature and this one in particular has been a great favourite of mine fo a number of years. I received it as a gift from a very dear friend way back in the 1970’s when it was first produced. As you rightly say, it is exquisitely illustrated.... a real treasurer. With each turn of the page Edith Holden’s skills as an artist of nature are a thrill to behold, together with her favourite poems and observations of wildlife and nature throughout the year. This is the sort of book that should never be put away on a bookshelf, it should be left out on a table to be picked up and enjoyed on a daily basis.... I have mine placed on a book stand, turning the pages so her diary corresponds exactly with the time of year.

I am sure that the illustration on page 80 is a great favourite of yours..... wild roses and honeysuckle...... if I have to choose, it is mine too, the two flowers that depict so perfectly, the English hedgerow in summer.... but I must include the bluebells on pages 56 and 60.

It was a delight to see you feature this book, it is a must for anyone who loves Britain. Keep well. Marion.

Barbara said...

My comment is on 'notes from Nova Scotia pt 6'

yes I have this book too. Quite a treasure.

And you are a Yorkshire girl. I am a Lancashire girl.

Tracy said...

This is very special book and I often take mine from its spot on the shelf to be savored...a perennial favorite! Hope you are feeling better, my friend! Happy weekend ahead...((HUGS))

Heidi said...

I discovered this book when I was about 15 years old and have loved it ever since. I have a couple others related to it too. I also have the video of the ITV program done on her life. This is one book that you never tire of.

I am so glad you are feeling better. It is awful to be sick for a longer while. I was happy to see you stopped by my blog to say hello. My mother is starting her last week here with me and we are picking up three online friends at the airport this morning flying in from England. We have an action packed week planned.

Hugs ~
Heidi