Wednesday, 20 February 2008

Secondhand Chic

posted on Tuesday 5th February 2008

I recently read an interesting article about buying secondhand and I thought about this book which has been sitting on my bookshelf for a long time. I enjoy thrifting and shopping at consignment stores and I don’t have any qualms about doing so. After all, if people are willing to dispose of their perfectly good items, I might just as well benefit from this.

Christa Weil writes about the many different places to buy secondhand and one thing that the book taught me is to look with my hands as well as my eyes. By learning to feel the quality of fabrics, it is easy to pick out the cashmere sweater from the cheaper alternatives.

Yesterday afternoon, I did a spot of thrifting and yes, I found a cashmere sweater ~ unfortunately, it was not my size, so I put it back on the rack for someone else to find. I did however, come across this sweet little top which will be perfect for the summer.


The embroidery is so pretty and delicate and the fabric is soft and lightweight. I am now on the look-out for some replacement 8 mm buttons for the back, as one is missing (I need eight). Does anyone know of a good source for buttons?



2 Responses to “Secondhand Chic”
on Wednesday 6th February 2008 at 5:46 am1 Tracy
Fun book! And LOVE that top–that pale yellow-green is lovely. Ebay is a great place to look for vintage buttons if you’re looking for vintage. Happy Day ((HUGS))

on Friday 8th February 2008 at 4:00 am2 Marion
Dear Marie….. When I read your request for buttons I was sure I could help you…. I knew I had quite a number of oval shaped (27), ivory coloured ones in my button tin. However, on checking, I find that unfortunately they are too big. What a pity.
What about looking in a charity shop, you may well find a cheap blouse with suitable buttons you could use. Good hunting. Luv - Marion

No comments: