Monday, 25 February 2008

Girl With A Pearl Earring

I finished reading Girl With A Pearl Earring yesterday. This is one of those books that I have intended to read for a long time, but never quite got around to, but I am so glad that I did in the end.

It tells the story of 16 year-old Griet, who goes to work as a maid for the Vermeer family in 17th Century Holland. This young woman inspires one of Vermeer's most celebrated paintings and the descriptions of the portraits and of life of that period are rich and beautifully written.

I found it hard to get into this novel, more because I had other distractions rather than because of the way it is written ~ I started it twice because when I picked it up the second time, I could barely remember a word that I had read. I am so glad that I persevered and would encourage you to read it if like me, you are new to Tracy Chevalier's work.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Hi Marie! I almost started this book this afternoon. I decided on another which I show on my blog. I finished a book this morning and picked my next read right away. I saw this movie on the BBC on New Year's Eve and think the book will be better. I did like the film but was distracted by the fact that they used Venice for Delft. Others would not even realize that but someone in Holland would of course. :) I am even more excited to start it now that you have also said it is so good. Have you seen the film?

Hope things are going well and you did get a chance to relax and enjoy your Sunday as you hoped dear friend!

Hugs ~
Heidi

Mia said...

Hello Marie! You are back in Blogspot again! I tried to visit the "old" blog, but seems that you have deleted it. Never mind, I am glad I found you.

I love this painting of the Girl with a pearl earring, and the book sounds like something I should read too.

Tracy said...

I loved this book. The film was very good too, and all the more so since Colin Firth was in it--LOL! T. Chevalier's works are always very textured and interesting. Oh, loved your cake with the mini eggs...very Easter. Hope the cold and snow depart soon so that it will feel like Easter instead of Christmas! Happy Day ((HUGS))