Wednesday, 20 February 2008

Feeling Like The Rug Is Being Pulled From Under My Feet

A letter arrived this afternoon from the City Planning Department informing us of a planning application to demolish our building and build a seniors' retirement residence. To say that it came out of the blue is an understatement. Forgive me, but I need to vent my feelings.

Is it unreasonable to expect that our management office or indeed the owners of the building might have seen fit to inform us of this decision? Apparently that is expecting too much. I called the local Councillor's office and spoke to a very pleasant lady who knew about the application ~ more than I did! She told me that the landlords had informed the city council that the residents are aware of their plans. She was somewhat surprised to hear that I live here and have heard nothing and nor have my neighbours.

Whilst it is hardly a surprise that there is a plan to demolish the property ~ we saw them surveying the lot about eighteen months ago, but no-one would tell us why they were doing so ~ it has left me feeling like the rug is being pulled from under my feet.

I have been told that even if the neighbours object and the city council turn down the plan, there is a very real possibility that the provincial government could overrule the decision, as happened in another neighbourhood planning application within recent weeks.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

So very sorry, Marie that you'll be losing you home! It all sounds most unfair...But it sounds like you do have time to find another place. And I do hope you find a snug, happy new place to call home! Thinking of you! ((HUGS))

Heidi said...

Oh no Marie! Do you have any idea where else you could live as it sounds like it has been planned for some time. Will it happen really quickly? I can imagine you would feel this way and hope you and your neighbors can perhaps hold it up if not stop it. But if you do have to move, there must be something better out there waiting for you and your DH!

Are you back at Blogger now for good? I opened the other one this morning and at first worried about you but found you again here.

Hugs ~
Heidi

Wild Rose said...

Heidi ~ yes, I have decided to return to Blogger after various issues arose with Wordpress. I am more comfortable with Blogger and it was taking far too long to post on Wordpress.

Marie x

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Dear Marie......
It saddened my heart to read about you loosing your home... it is so underhand and unfair to have dealt you such a blow like this. I know you love your homemaking and to take it away is so cruel. I do hope and pray that there is some really special place just waiting for you to find it. Blessings dear friend. Marion

Raindrops to Rainbows said...

Thankyou for visiting my blog, i look forward to reading through your blog over the weekend. Thanks for the Carole Drinkwater recommendation, ive just been on her website as id never heard of her, and ive added her to my 'books to buy' list as i think her olive series sounds great. So thankyou in advance!
And the news on your block being pulled down, thats awful, obviously theres been a huge lack of communication, i hope the future doesnt seem too gloomy to you,
Take care,
Lindsay xx