Wednesday, 20 February 2008

Another Blast of Winter

posted on Thursday 7th February 2008

We awoke to a second heavy snowfall this morning with a further 30 cm of snow falling overnight. There is in the region of 50 cm on the ground now. Most people are digging themselves out of their homes and driveways, but it does look pretty when the sun is shining.

We ventured out for a walk and took some more photographs of the neighbourhood. As you can see, the trees are weighed down with the snow.

The yellow posts mark the edge of the kerbs so that the plough drivers know where to plough. The snow on the gardens looks like frosting ~ so pretty with the sun shining on it.

Fire hydrants in Canada and the United States are above ground and this yellow one has been painted to look like a dog’s face ~ isn’t it cute! The owners of this garden had cleared a space around the hydrant so that it is visible in the event of an emergency.

A street scene with a plough at rest ~ most drivers are on the road around the clock and I heard this morning that there are more than 1,600 ploughs cleaning up the city’s streets.

Despite the weather, life goes on much as normal ~ people walk their dogs; clean the snow off their driveways and make their way to school and work. It was a beautiful morning to be out in the neighbourhood ~ I hope that you have enjoyed these winter scenes.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Another Blast of Winter”
on Thursday 7th February 2008 at 8:33 pm1 Lynda
Wasn’t that a lot of snow?? Our street still hasn’t been plowed! I love that fire hydrant! You’re so brave to venture out to take photos, Marie! ~ hugs, Lynda xoxo

on Friday 8th February 2008 at 3:34 am2 jamjar
I was confused at first, but then realised I had come to your new blog. I am with wordpress and have found it pretty straight forward with few of the problems that I found with blogger. I love your snowy photos, what amazing weather you are having, hope you are all keeping warm and toasty.

on Friday 8th February 2008 at 3:42 am3 Marion
Hi Marie…. What a glorious winter wonderland scene your neighbourhood looks. Goodness! you are still very much in the icy grip of winter aren’t you….. It does look beautiful, I like it like this…. its when it gets to that dirty slushy stage it becomes unpleasant.
Congratulations on your move to ‘Wordpress’, your blog is looking good. Hope you are finding it easier to manage.
Keep warm Marie and have a good weekend. Love - Marion x

on Friday 8th February 2008 at 3:43 am4 Heidi
My but you do have a lot of snow! It is like the old~fashioned winters I remember as a girl. The snow would start in November and finally go around March. There is something very special how the sounds when there has been a snowfall. The world is muffled and everything sounds softer. I can now hear that special crunch of the snow under your feet when you walk around to take some photos. Thanks for sharing as I have to enjoy the snowfall through you!
Hugs ~Heidi

on Saturday 9th February 2008 at 2:10 pm5 Priscilla
My My, Ihave never seen that much snow, where I live it has only ever had real deep snow about 4 times and it was no where near as deep as that…… It must make a beautiful sight, although it makes me wonder how everyone magages to get about! Thanks for sharing these photos
Priscilla x

on Sunday 10th February 2008 at 5:23 pm6 Mia
Wow, so much snow! But it looks lovely, I must say, even though I feel quite ready for spring, seeing that our winter has really been a wet and miserable one (we do usually get quite a bit of snow, but not this year, it seems).

No comments: