Wednesday, 2 January 2008

A Cold And Frosty Morning

This morning dawned cold and bright. With a temperature of -14 C (6.8 F) and a wind chill of -24 C (-11.2 F), I was certainly going to need a lot of clothing before I ventured out to post some letters. By the time I was all bundled up in thermal underwear (!) a thick fleece tracksuit and outer jacket; fleece hat, scarf, gloves and boots; I couldn't wait to get outdoors ~ I was dying of the heat!

I decided to go a little further than our local postbox, which gave me a chance to take these photographs. A couple of minutes minus the gloves and I felt like I was going to lose my fingers. It is all too easy to get frostbite in such temperatures and the wind blowing in my face was not a pleasant experience.

Some of you may recognize some of the houses in our neighbourhood from a previous post. They all look a little different under a blanket of snow. We had fresh snowfall yesterday, hence the snow on the ground looks relatively white, although it soon looks dirty after the traffic and the plough has been through.

This is my view on the way home. The roads are clear, but the paths are slippery in places where they have not been cleared properly and they have glazed over with the wind. I decided not to venture far, as I did not wish to risk a fall.

I'm now safely tucked up at home and I have thawed out ~ it looks beautiful out there, but it is lovely to be warm.

11 comments:

Tea Time and Roses said...

Oh Marie what beautiful photos! The snow knows how to lay a perfect layer of pure beauty, and you captured it in a most lovely way! I wish I were there to walk those beautiful streets. Enjoy!

Smiles...

Beverly

Heidi said...

How lovely all these homes are! I really miss the houses back in the States when I see this. The snow makes things look magical. Is the first photo of your own home? I smiled reading about you bundling up only to get too hot before venturing outside. Brought me back to childhood snows in Ohio and my mother packing us up in layers upon layers until we felt like polar bears. :)

Hugs ~
Heidi

Wild Rose said...

Thanks for your comments ~ Heidi, I only wish it were a photo of my own home! I just love those Cape Cod houses ~ sigh ~

Marie x

Lynda said...

Your neighbourhood is gorgeous, Marie! It looks so pretty under a blanket of snow ... I love that red door in your first photo. ~ ♥ Lynda xo

Naturegirl said...

Sigh..I dream of going down a road for a walk.I am usually one to hibernate in the cold winter but this year because I am ((forced)) to do so because of the broken ankle I dream of walking on the (((colder side)))..sigh..NG
Your photos are wonderful examples of how beautifull our winter season can look.

Tracy said...

It is soooo pretty where you live! Such a lovely sugar-coating of snow there. We're set to get some snow this weekend. Hope you're keeping warm! Happy weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

Tammy said...

Coming by from Lynda's place to say HI!

I enjoyed reading through your posts.

I won the Susan Branch book on a blog giveaway. It is really neat. Congrats on getting it at a good price.

Have a great day!

Mia said...

A very happy New Year to you, Marie! And your photos look very beautiful and very cold! What a lovely neighbourhood you live in. We also did have the first proper snowstorm this weekend. So everything is very pretty and white (and out here on the countryside it tends to stay white too...) but luckily not quite as cold as where you are. And still, thermal underwear is my constant companion to keep me warm during the winter months, once I venture outside. I do prefer to stay warm!

Britt-Arnhild said...

What a beautiful neighbourhood.

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Marie....
I have enjoyed your neighbour snowy scenes... Goodness, it looks cold!!! We have had one slight shimmer of snow, but it was gone in flash. Your pictures are what I call serious snow falls which would bring the UK to a complete standstill. We are just not equipped to deal with snow in this country.... remember!!!

What beautiful homes in your neighbourhood.
Marion

Barbara said...

What a beautifyl walk - just like fairyland. Thanks. Being surrounded by the Gulf Stream keeps us warm so we get little snow in the South. Scotland is a different matter though.