Thursday, 27 December 2007

A Lucky Sixpence

The Christmas celebrations are winding down and I have a few minutes to do a quick post. Outside, the snow is falling and it looks more like Christmas than it did two days ago. We have had a quiet time at home, with time to read; go for walks and enjoy spending time together.

This year, I bought a Christmas pudding and it came with a sixpence attached to the wrapping. The tradition of putting a coin into the pudding has a long history and is intended to bring good luck to the finder. I hesitated to actually put it in the pudding, with visions of an emergency visit to the dentist, but I will keep it and hope that it brings good fortune.

I haven't seen a sixpence in many years and I suppose that I am giving away my age here when I tell you that the tooth fairy used to leave sixpence under my pillow when I was little. Happy days!

Talking of tooth fairies and dentists, look what Santa brought! A Cadbury selection box full of English chocolate treats and a tin of Cadbury's chocolate biscuits ~ yummy!

And some of you may remember my Christmas cake ~ here it is iced with marzipan and Royal icing. I was really late icing it and we were in such a hurry to try it that the icing was not set properly, but it tasted delicious anyway.

I do hope that you have all enjoyed the festive period and are looking forward to spending more time with family and friends next week for New Year.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Yum! I visited the Cadbury factory when we were in the area years ago and it was so much fun. It reminded me of the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. And then there were the free samples of course. Again YUM! :) Your cake looks absolutely adorable! And it sounds like your Christmas was a relaxing and fun time together.

Hugs ~
Heidi