Monday, 12 November 2007

I Capture The Castle

I Capture The Castle was written in 1949, but the story is set in the 1930s. It is told from the perspective of Cassandra Mortmain, through her journal. Cassandra and her bohemian family live in a crumbling castle in Suffolk and the tale is one of sibling jealousy and unrequited first love.

Cassandra is witty and observant and her journal is a highly entertaining read. I had vaguely heard of this book, but had no idea what it was about until I borrowed it from the library. Once I started reading, I didn't want to put it down. It is funny and genuinely moving and the story and characters stayed with me after I had turned the last page.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I read that one a long time ago...such a charming story! Happy reading ((HUGS))

Lynda said...

Marie, I've never read this book yet but I *love* the movie! I'll have to check it out at the library. ~ hugs, Lynda xoxo

Heidi said...

I am so glad you mentioned this blog on mine. I did not even know you had it. You remind me of myself reading why you started this one. I keep my hobbies on NeedleNecessitites and home and garden on CelebrateTheSeasons. I will be coming to visit you on both of yours.

I just ordered this book this summer but have not had a chance to read it. It was recommended by another bloggers who has a very well worn copy herself. She reads it again every summer. I can't wait to read it but have many in my TBR stack and this one is not even in my book tray I keep on my bed yet. I grab a book from it each time I am finished with one. I like seeing the books in the tray as decoration as they are waiting to be read.

~~ Heidi ~~